NZClear is a real-time settlement system which members access from their premises.
Each participant has a security account(s) on the system which records the securities "lodged with New Zealand Central Securities Depository Limited" (NZCSD), a custodian, fully owned by the RBNZ. NZCSD becomes the legal owner of the securities on the relevant register and holds securities on behalf of the participant, the beneficial owner.
Each participant has to have an account which is provided by an ESAS account holder, generally a registered New Zealand bank. The bank providing a system cash account has real-time access to set daylight limits on that account.
NZClear has electronic interfaces with both Computershare and Link which allow entries of securities lodges to and securities uplifts from NZClear to electronically effect the necessary movement of securities in the relevant securities registry.
It also has an electronic interface with NZX to allow NZX participants to electronically transfer securities via the NZClear Depository (NZCSD ltd) and NZCDC Ltd (NZX Depository). This functionality enhances straight through processing reducing operational risk and processing costs.
NZClear New Zealand Securities
The NZClear Securities file provides members with a database of all securities (Debt and Equity) within the NZClear system. The file is updated every business day shortly after 9.30am.
View a full list of our NZClear participants, and their member type.
NZClear Scheduled Outages
Find out more information about scheduled NZClear outages and maintenance windows.
More information about NZClear, including our operating guidelines and rules can be accessed below.
- NZClear System Rules (PDF 323KB) - Effective 24 February 2020
- NZClear Operating Guidelines - Effective 24 February 2020 (coming soon)
- Reserve Bank of New Zealand (Designated Settlement System - NZClear) Order 2012
- Memorandum of Understanding (PDF 1.5MB) - 11 October 2010
- 2017 Review of NZClear System Assessment of Observance of Principles for Financial Market Infrastructure (PDF 652KB)
- NZClear Fee Schedule (PDF 383KB)
- Independant Assurance Practitioner's Report - December 2019 (PDF 132KB)
- Annual Report for NZClear - 2019 (PDF 585KB)
- ESAS/NZClear Help Desk Survey Results March 2019 (PDF 107KB)
- User Advisory Committee Meeting Minutes, January 2020 (PDF 15KB)
Further documents can be found on our archive page:
- Annual Reports
- Independent Assurance Practitioners reports
- Industry bulletins/updates
- User Advisory Committee meetings
- Survey Results
Requests for Annual Reports
The Annual Audit report for the NZClear system has been completed. This report is available to participants and account holders upon request made to:
Head of Banking
Reserve Bank of New Zealand