NZClear is a real-time settlement system which members access from their premises. This system was formerly known as Austraclear.
Each member has a security account(s) on the system which records the securities "lodged with New Zealand Central Securities Depository Limited" (NZCSD), a custodian, fully owned by the RBNZ. NZCSD becomes the legal owner of the securities on the relevant register and holds securities on behalf of the member, the beneficial owner. The inventory of securities held in the depository currently stands at around NZD198 billion.
Each member also has a system cash account. This account is provided by a financial institution, generally a registered New Zealand bank. The bank providing a system cash account has real-time access to set daylight limits (debit caps) on that account.
This site provides access to a range of business documents which both overview and give further insight to:
- the functionality of NZClear
- the activities and operations of the New Zealand Central Securities depository
For persons not familiar with NZClear we recommend first reading the Overview document with particular attention to Appendix I, which gives a pictorial description of the system structure, and Appendix II which describes and illustrates a typical trade on the NZClear System.
NZClear New Zealand Securities
The NZClear Securities page provides members with a database of all securities (Debt and Equity) within the NZClear system. Members have the ability within the webpage to either search the securities database and view the results, or download a comma-delimited CSV file that contains the information.
Contacts and NZClear mailing list
General queries (including ESAS/CLS), RTGSHelpDesk@rbnz.govt.nz
NZClear services, NZClear@rbnz.govt.nz
Corporate Actions & Payments Services, email@example.com
Subscribe or unsubscribe to the NZClear mailing list, limited to NZClear members and institutions as authorised by NZClear.
- Payment and Settlement Systems Replacement
- Overview of NZClear (also available in PDF 231KB)
- NZClear System Rules (PDF 323KB) − Effective 1 March 2012
- Notice of amended NZClear Rules (PDF 130KB) − Effective 1 March 2012
- NZClear Operating Guidelines (PDF 1.6MB) − Effective 20 June 2016
- Reserve Bank of New Zealand (Designated Settlement System − NZClear) Order 2012
- NZClear NZ STP Options (PDF 180KB)
- NZClear Electronic Registries Interface
- Memorandum of Understanding (PDF 1.5MB) 11 October 2010
- 2017 Review of NZClear System Assessment of Observance of Principles for Financial Market Infrastructure (PDF 652KB)
- Independent Assurance Practitioner's Report - December 2018 (PDF 189KB)
- Annual Report for NZClear – 2018 (PDF 585KB)
- NZClear Fee Schedule (PDF 81KB) as at 1 Feb 2016
- NZClear New Zealand members
- Scheduled outages for ESAS & NZClear
- Archived documents
The Annual Audit report for the NZClear system has been completed. This report is available to members and accountholders upon request made to:
The Chief Financial Officer
Reserve Bank of New Zealand
Who can be contacted by email - RTGSHelpdesk@rbnz.govt.nz
The RTGS Bulletin provides our customers with a series of brief notes about current matters of interest to both ESAS Account Holders and NZClear members. Each item usually includes a reference to the person or section to whom further enquiries should be directed. However, please also feel free to contact Jaimee Taylor-Burt (00 644) 471 3948, email firstname.lastname@example.org, on any NZClear issue.
- April 2018 Industry Update (PDF 1.2MB)
- ESAS/NZClear Help Desk Survey Results March 2018 (PDF 856KB)
- Archived Industry Reports and RTGS Bulletins