Senior Economic Analysts and Analysts Forecasting and Policy Analysis
The Economics Department is seeking experienced economists to join the Forecasting or Policy Analysis teams as Analysts or Senior Analysts. This is due to a number of external secondments and internal movements in these teams.
The Forecasting Team advises on the state of and outlook for the New Zealand economy. It provides quantitative analysis and forecasts which feed directly into the quarterly Monetary Policy Statement. The team is also responsible for the production of the Statement.
The Policy Analysis team has a strong policy focus, with a wide range of issues analysed and researched. The team has an important role in providing prompt policy advice to the Monetary Policy Committee on the key domestic and international issues facing the New Zealand economy.
Key responsibilities of these positions include:
- Preparing forecasts and risk analysis for key macroeconomic variables
- Identifying and investigating developing issues in a fast paced environment
- Applying a range of economic and statistical models to domestic and international economic data, and identifying the implications for the New Zealand economy
- Drafting material for and presenting material to the Monetary Policy Committee
- Drafting high quality external Bank publications and speeches
You will need:
- A post-graduate degree in economics
- Experience within a policy-making institution (1 to 4 years for Analyst; at least 3 years for Senior Analyst)
- Solid understanding of macroeconomics and the key issues facing New Zealand and the global economy
- Ability to communicate effectively with different audiences
- Efficient work processes and time management
- An effective collaborative approach to interaction with colleagues
The Bank actively encourages staff to move amongst its various teams and departments over time to broaden their skills and experiences. As such, we would be especially interested in candidates with the skills and desires to work across the Economics Department and the Bank’s other key policy functions more broadly.
Informal inquiries about the technical aspects of the role can be made to Chris McDonald, Manager Forecasting, Economics – email Chris.McDonald@rbnz.govt.nz or Rebecca Williams, Manager Policy Analysis, Economics - email Rebecca.Williams@rbnz.govt.nz
Please email your CV and cover letter to Keira.Peters@rbnz.govt.nz by Sunday 24 February 2019.